About Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa
Effectively supporting the achievements of iwi aspirations and the long term iwi vision is a key role of Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa.
Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa is the mandated entity recognised by the Crown as a representative of Ngāti Awa, that manages the collective affairs of the members of Ngāti Awa in accordance with the Charter. We are responsible for representing the collective interests of Ngāti Awa, which includes managing our collective taonga and resources.
Identity, Language and Culture
This department is responsible for the management & implementation of the Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa Cultural, Te Reo and Leadership Strategies.
Providing leadership and support to our members in the management of our natural resources.
Information and Knowledge
Information & Knowledge maintains and supports all the information technology (IT), data management and archival management requirements for the Ngāti Awa Group including Ngāti Awa Research and Archives.
The Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa Act 2005 and the Charter describes the structure of the Rūnanga and various entities including:
- The Office of Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa
- Te Kāhui Kaumātua o Ngāti Awa
- Ngāti Awa Community Development Trust
- Ngāti Awa Research and Archives Trust
- Ngāti Awa Group Holdings Limited
- Ngāti Awa Asset Holdings Limited
Broadly speaking, the role of the Rūnanga is to work for and on behalf of Ngāti Awa members to:
- Provide services to empower and strengthen Ngāti Awa whanau, hapū and iwi and,
- Ensure the sustainable
management of collectively held assets to meet the needs of current and future generations.
The responsibilities of Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa are underpinned by Articles Two and Three of the Treaty of Waitangi:
- Article Two established a partnership with the Crown, and
- Article Three established our rights as tangata whenua and citizens of Aotearoa, New Zealand.
Ngāti Awa Group Holdings Ltd
100% owned by the Rūnanga and charged through the Charter to manage Iwi assets, Ngāti Awa Group Holdings Ltd conducts Ngāti Awa commercial activities.